This help article quickly runs through some basic ServiceM8 concepts covering:
- Where do I find jobs that are scheduled to me?
- Where do I find jobs that are not scheduled?
- What are jobs?
- Where do I create jobs?
- What are job statuses?
- What is the basic work-flow in ServiceM8?
- What are job actions?
- What should I do next?
Where do I find jobs that are scheduled to me?
My schedule shows all jobs that are scheduled to you in the future or on the current day. Jobs will disappear from your schedule at midnight on the day they were scheduled.
Where do I find jobs that are not scheduled to me?
Use job filters to locate jobs that you have created but have not scheduled.
- All Jobs - Shows all jobs, except completed jobs which were completed more than 48 hours ago.
- Completed Jobs - All jobs completed in the past 48 hours
- In Progress Jobs - All jobs with 'Work Order' status
- Unscheduled Jobs - Shows all Quote & Work Order jobs that are not currently scheduled or allocated to a staff member or in a queue.
Note - completed jobs more than 48 hours old can be found by Searching for them.
What are Jobs?
A job in ServiceM8 is where everything surrounding work that you are doing for a client is stored. Information like:
- Client contact details
- Job location
- Job description
- Work that has been done on site
- Labour and materials used
- History of client communication.
- and more.
Where do I create jobs?
When you have a job to complete for a client, this is the first place to start. Create a job with the client details and what the client requires you to do.
What are job statuses?
There are 4 status of a job in ServiceM8. They keep track of what stage a job is at.
- Quote - Job either needs to be quoted, or is awaiting for the quote to be approved.
- Work Order - You have received the go ahead from the client for work to be started. The job should remain as a work order until all physical work is complete.
- Completed - All work on the job has been completed and the job is ready to be invoiced.
- Unsuccessful - Either the quote has not gone ahead or the job has been canceled.
Job statuses affect where the job is visible in the app. For instance, jobs will only appear inside invoicing once the job status has been set to complete.
The four job statuses are fixed in ServiceM8 and cannot be changed. When you need to manage more detailed workflows (for example, keep track of which jobs need to be quoted versus which ones are awaiting a response from the client), the tool to use is Queues. Please refer to How can I manage jobs on hold?
What is a basic work-flow in ServiceM8?
In ServiceM8, quotes and invoices are documents which you create and store inside a job. A typical work-flow of a job would be.
- You create the job and set its status to 'Quote'.
- Issue a quote (pdf document) to the client.
- Move the job to the "Pending Quotes" queue.
- When the client contacts you to accept the quote, you change the status to "Work Order" and create a scheduled booking to do the work.
- Creating a scheduled booking automatically removes the job from any queues it is in.
- You attend the site and complete the work
- Change the job status to Completed and issue an invoice to the client.
- The invoice is now available in invoicing for payment to be tracked.
- Finally, the invoice is paid and the job is automatically archived for future reference.
The above is just an example. ServiceM8 is very flexible in allowing you to work the way that best suits your business or industry. ServiceM8 Partners are specialists in consulting with you to develop a ServiceM8 workflow which suits your business processes. Click here to find a ServiceM8 Partner near you.
What are job actions?
Job actions are how many different functions are achieved on a job. For instance:
- Create Quotes, Invoices or Work Orders
- Take Photos
- Send the client an SMS or Email
- Schedule the job
- or capture a signature.
What should I do next?
Try creating a dummy job for a customer and create an invoice for that customer. Check out the other help articles if you get stuck.