- Always start from an existing template design - this will save your hours of initial setup, especially if the template is already close to what you want
- Disable MS Word spell check, as any fields that you add to your template which become red underlined (spelt wrong) may stop working and need to be re-inserted into the document
- Simply renaming the field doesn't work, you need to right-click edit field to change the fields actual value
- Make small changes to the document, and then re-load into your ServiceM8 account to see the results. There is nothing worse then spending hours on a template only to find when you finish there is an error preventing it from loading and no way to tell which field is causing the issue. Also - save versions of your template as you go, so if something goes wrong you can revert to a previous copy.
- Always use MS Word 2007 - While 2010 can also produce DOCX files, because the template system is based on Word 2007 - margins have a tendency to shift slightly producing odd results.
- The template preview in Document Templates is only a fast preview, and as such may look like images / text have shifted from your design. The only way to confirm if this is the case is to open a job on the Dispatch Board and produce an invoice / quote PDF.
- Don't use tab's to indent fields as when the information goes onto multiple lines (eg. Customer address, Job descriptions, etc) - the tabs won't be applied and your information won't be indented correctly. Instead, adjust the document margins or place the information inside a borderless table.
Have more questions? Submit a request